Farm Fresh Summer Chili
Even though yesterday was a hot summer day, the overcast clouds, sporadic rain showers, and a fridge full of fresh produce from this week's CSA box gave me a craving from chili.
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 fresh tomatoes* or 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 can pinto beans, undrained
2-3 summer squash and/or zucchini
1 cup hulled garden peas
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic. Drain if necessary.
- Add in diced tomatoes and pinto beans.**
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in your spices.
- Add in zucchini, summer squash and garden peas.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite chili toppings - diced avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla chips.
*Fresh diced tomatoes:
- Boil large pot of water
- Add in tomatoes
- Boil until skin begins to crack
- Remove from water and place in ice water bath
- Peel tomatoes
- Dice with knife (this is messy) or use a potatoe masher or a hamburger chopper.
**If you like your chili with a little kick, add in diced poblano peppers.